Photo gallery app suggestion?

Carlos E.R.

Jul 18, 2018, 7:48:08 AM7/18/18

I updated my phone to a Motorola G6+, and one of my surprises is that
the camera uses Google Photo as the app to see the photos by default
(and is set to backup all the photos I make to the cloud). The old
"Motorola Gallery" application was not installed and in fact is not
compatible.

I had a look on google play for Gallery apps, but the number of them is
bewildering.

Can you suggest some Gallery App (that you use/used, not a google
search) that you liked?

In fact, one of the "pros" of Motorola phones was that they had less
preinstalled apps than other brands. To my surprise I found Linkedlin
and Outlook preinstalled :-(

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Piet

Jul 18, 2018, 8:16:04 AM7/18/18
Carlos E.R. wrote:
> I had a look on google play for Gallery apps, but the number of
> them is bewildering.
> Can you suggest some Gallery App (that you use/used, not a google
> search) that you liked?

I've been using QuickPic for quite some time now and I'm happy with it.

-p

Carlos E.R.

Jul 18, 2018, 2:28:08 PM7/18/18
Thanks. I see it mentioned elsewhere, but that finds me "Quick Pic
Gallery 3D & HD" by q2developer, with just 106 installs, so it can't be
this one.

Meanwhile I found "Simple Gallery" by Simple Mobile Tools, which seems
to have no adds. Good comments. I just tried it and seems to be suitable.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Piet

Jul 18, 2018, 3:13:01 PM7/18/18
Carlos E.R. wrote:
> Piet wrote:
>> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>> I had a look on google play for Gallery apps, but the number of
>>> them is bewildering.
>>> Can you suggest some Gallery App (that you use/used, not a google
>>> search) that you liked?
>>
>> I've been using QuickPic for quite some time now and I'm happy with it.
>
> Thanks. I see it mentioned elsewhere, but that finds me "Quick Pic
> Gallery 3D & HD" by q2developer, with just 106 installs, so it can't
> be this one.

No, it's QuickPic - Photo Gallery by Cheetah Mobile.

-p

micky

Jul 18, 2018, 7:56:38 PM7/18/18
In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 18 Jul 2018 21:13:02 +0200, Piet
I got that after it was recommended here, and it does solve the major
problem: It allows you to sort the photos so you see the oldest one
first (built-in Gallery only shows the newest one first!)

But other features of Gallery are missing. Specifically, Gallary
groups them by day, and labels each day where the pictures were taken,
even going so far as to say what part of the country I am in (on my
foreign trip). I dont' think QuickPic does anything like that.

How about Simple Gallery??

>-p

Carlos E.R.

Jul 18, 2018, 8:28:06 PM7/18/18
It sorts by creation or modification date ascending or descending, or by
name, path, size. Some of the comments say that now the app is not so
simple as it was, the developer keeps adding features :-)

It can hide some folders, and protect them with password if wished.

QuickPic I'll try tomorrow, thanks.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

micky

Jul 19, 2018, 12:47:29 AM7/19/18
In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 02:26:51 +0200, "Carlos
I have no secrets from myself.

Carlos E.R.

Jul 19, 2018, 6:48:07 AM7/19/18
Obviously. Nobody does. :-)

But you may have secrets to hide from others.

You may want to show a photo to someone and when you go to the gallery
there is some horrible photo you just got on a whatsap group displayed
and the other person who is at your side sees it.

Or you may have kids or nephews that pick up your phone to play games
with when you are taking care of them while their parents go shopping or
something.

Or you may be a kindergarten teacher and the kids pick up the teacher
phone to have a look when he or she is distracted.

I was not thinking of a lover to hide from the wife :-p

I was not looking at a feature to hide folders; I simply noticed the
feature and commented about it, because I found it curious. And anyway,
other apps in the same phone will not respect that block: there is a
file navigator (actually, three), there is google photos...

>> QuickPic I'll try tomorrow, thanks.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Daniel James

Jul 19, 2018, 10:06:39 AM7/19/18
In article <6sl32f-...@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> I updated my phone to a Motorola G6+, and one of my surprises is that
> the camera uses Google Photo as the app to see the photos by default

It's the same on my G4. I was surprised, too, but it's not a bad app.

> (and is set to backup all the photos I make to the cloud).

I turned that off, obviously!

> To my surprise I found Linkedlin and Outlook preinstalled :-(

That's disappointing ... can they be removed or disabled?

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Carlos E.R.

Jul 19, 2018, 10:32:07 AM7/19/18
On 2018-07-19 16:06, Daniel James wrote:
> In article <6sl32f-...@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> I updated my phone to a Motorola G6+, and one of my surprises is that
>> the camera uses Google Photo as the app to see the photos by default
>
> It's the same on my G4. I was surprised, too, but it's not a bad app.

No, it is not a bad app.

>> (and is set to backup all the photos I make to the cloud).
>
> I turned that off, obviously!

Me too, obviously ;-)

>> To my surprise I found Linkedlin and Outlook preinstalled :-(
>
> That's disappointing ... can they be removed or disabled?

I have not tried yet, but as they come in "ROM" it should not be
possible to remove, only disable.

Yep, I just did so. Disabled.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Arlen Holder

Jul 19, 2018, 12:37:37 PM7/19/18
On 18 Jul 2018 04:45:42 GMT, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I updated my phone to a Motorola G6+, and one of my surprises is that
> the camera uses Google Photo as the app to see the photos by default
> (and is set to backup all the photos I make to the cloud). The old
> "Motorola Gallery" application was not installed and in fact is not
> compatible.

If the old app won't work, then it won't work - but - most of the time
(like in the very high percentages), the apps on one phone _will_ work from
phone to phone.

It's trivial to test:
a. You create the APK of the old app on the old phone
(I explained how to do this easily just a few days ago, in fact)
b. You slide the APK from the old phone to the new phone
(Lots of ways to do that, many of which I've described recently)
c. You test it out on the new phone
(They almost always work - not always - but almost always)

> I had a look on google play for Gallery apps, but the number of them is
> bewildering.

It's interesting that it's a simple need but that there are so many apps to
fill it, without, perhaps, a clear winner for most people. Dunno. I use
F-Droid apps mostly, which tend to be simple and functional, but sans fancy
things (like cloud storage for what I don't want on the cloud).

For example, these are simple photo-related tools:
<http://www.simplemobiletools.com>

Where I just realized from that link they're also on Google Play:
Simple Gallery, by Simple Mobile Tools
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.gallery>

> Can you suggest some Gallery App (that you use/used, not a google
> search) that you liked?

It's very simple, but I like F-Droid's "Simple Gallery" by Tibor Kaputa:
<https://f-droid.org/packages/com.simplemobiletools.gallery/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.gallery>
Gallery-com.simplemobiletools.gallery-185-v4.3.apk (8.96MB)
- No ads
- No unnecessary permissions
- Free, Open Source, customizable skin colors
- Sort by date, size, name both ascending or descending
- Photos can be zoomed in.
- Media files are shown in multiple columns
- Change the column count by pinch gestures
- Media can be renamed, shared, deleted, copied, moved.
- Images can also be cropped, rotated, flipped or set as Wallpaper

Regarding "hidden" files, "fingerprint permission is needed for locking
either hidden item visibility, or the whole app".

> In fact, one of the "pros" of Motorola phones was that they had less
> preinstalled apps than other brands. To my surprise I found Linkedlin
> and Outlook preinstalled :-(

In my experience, some pre-installed apps can be deleted.
For those that can't, it's not difficult to root most common phones.
My S3 was rooted in seconds with KingoRoot, for example.
All you do is download the file and run it and you're rooted.

Once rooted, you can delete the offending apps.
And then, unroot just as easily as you rooted.

That way, you're back to where you were, but without the offending apps.
Easy peasy (for common phones at least).

--
HINT: I'd be perfectly happy to see those numbers, but you, nospam, can
only play your childish silly games dancing around the facts since you

Arlen Holder

Jul 19, 2018, 12:37:39 PM7/19/18
On 18 Jul 2018 12:13:02 GMT, Piet wrote:

> No, it's QuickPic - Photo Gallery by Cheetah Mobile.

It's always good practice on this newsgroup to provide either the unique
developer name or the unique URL or the unique application name
(particularly if the version matters) when suggesting apps.

That reduces comeback confusion, especially when someone uses these tribal
archives far into the future to answer their questions.
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android
http://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com

For the suggested app above, for the tribal archives, this seems to be it:
QuickPic - Photo Gallery with Google Drive Support, by Cheetah Mobile
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder>
QuickPic-com.alensw.PicFolder-4740094-v4.7.apk (4.17MB)

Arlen Holder

Jul 19, 2018, 12:37:40 PM7/19/18
On 19 Jul 2018 07:30:03 GMT, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I have not tried yet, but as they come in "ROM" it should not be
> possible to remove, only disable.
>
> Yep, I just did so. Disabled.

If you use Nova free (and probably plenty of other launchers), even if you
can't delete them without being root, you can rename any app to anything
you want, even the system apps or pre-installed apps (AFAICR).

That's especially useful to know when you're *organizing* a phone, where
you may have a score of apps in any given folder that do different things
for the same task where you can rename individual app icons by what they
do.

It's super useful to rename the app icon when you have an app in multiple
folders, where you use that app for different purposes in each folder.

Arlen Holder

Jul 19, 2018, 12:37:42 PM7/19/18
On 19 Jul 2018 03:46:18 GMT, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I was not looking at a feature to hide folders; I simply noticed the
> feature and commented about it, because I found it curious. And anyway,
> other apps in the same phone will not respect that block: there is a
> file navigator (actually, three), there is google photos...

I think the ".nomedia" file is what is often used to "hide" things.
<http://www.easycodeway.com/2016/08/hide-files-in-android-using-nomedia-file.html>

Eli the Bearded

Jul 20, 2018, 3:13:09 AM7/20/18
In comp.mobile.android, Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:
> Can you suggest some Gallery App (that you use/used, not a google
> search) that you liked?

I use F-Stop Gallery, in the "Pro" ($4.99 currently) edition. I am an
avid user of tags to organize my photos and that seemed the best choice
for that purpose. The interface for adding a new tag is terrible, IMHO,
but otherwise I have no complaints. With the Pro version I can have tags
saved to the Exif data so they stay with the image as I move it around.
Tags that get saved to a gallery tool specific database are useless to
me.

Your needs may vary.

Elijah
------
F-Stop uses XML "sidecars" when not saving to Exif

Arlen Holder

Jul 20, 2018, 10:03:13 AM7/20/18
On 20 Jul 2018 00:13:09 GMT, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> I use F-Stop Gallery, in the "Pro" ($4.99 currently) edition. I am an
> avid user of tags to organize my photos and that seemed the best choice
> for that purpose.

I had never thought of adding tags to photos, since I don't even EXIF-tag
them (for privacy reasons); but looking up how tag with freeware, this
first hit mentions using this Picasa, which I would find cumbersome:
1. You need to have a Picasa account which a Google+ account gives you
2. You need to have Sync Google Photos turned on which Google Sync does
3. Then share your photo with Picasa.
4. Find your photos at https://picasaweb.google.com/home
5. Press Tags and a "+" "Add Tags" button with a Tag icon (on the right)
6. Enter your tags, which are space separated.
7. On Android, go into Gallery and go up to the top level (to Refresh)
8. Or, manually choose "Refresh" in the menu in the upper right.
9. This syncs the tags you created on the web to the Android device.
10. (Sync Google Photos is what really does it under the covers.)
11. Now you can choose the album that has the photo that you tagged above.
12. Then choose the menu item Group by > Tags.

Later in that same page, it mentions the two apps already mentioned here:
QuickPic - Photo Gallery with Google Drive Support, by Cheetah Mobile
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder>
F-Stop Gallery, by Seelye Engineering <http://www.fstopapp.com/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fstop.photo>

This second hit, from 2014, shows how to tag faces using "Android Gallery"
<https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smartphones/how-to-tag-faces-in-the-android-gallery/>
"Within the Android Gallery app, there's a tagging tool called Face tag"
But these tags only work within the Android Gallery app.

Unfortunately, the person who wrote that article didn't follow the
comp.mobile.android suggestion of providing a link or at least a unique
identifier to the Android Gallery app, so I'm not sure which app the author
is talking about.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=android+gallery>

This third hit from 2103 did follow c.m.a recommendations when suggesting:
Let's Tag It, by RNT, Support Windows XPKeywords, Exif, Iptc & Xmp formats.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rnt.letstagit>
<https://www.makeuseof.com/answers/what-android-app-can-take-a-photo-tag-it-and-back-it-up-all-at-once/>

They also suggested
PicsArt - Studio Photo
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.picsart.studio>

F-Stop Galerie Média
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fstop.photo>

Sort Shots for Android
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=and.dev.sort.shot>
<http://www.sortshots.com/android/turn-your-android-into-a-lean-mean-photo-machine/>

Android Photo Backup
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.rms.apb>

And this tagging tutorial:
<http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/3289837/6-tips-to-help-you-organise-photos-on-an-android-device/>

Overall, all those hits were *old*, where I wonder why there aren't newer
articles on how to best tag photos using Android freweare???

Eli the Bearded

Jul 20, 2018, 7:35:52 PM7/20/18
In comp.mobile.android, Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2018 00:13:09 GMT, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>> I use F-Stop Gallery, in the "Pro" ($4.99 currently) edition. I am an
>> avid user of tags to organize my photos and that seemed the best choice
>> for that purpose.
> I had never thought of adding tags to photos, since I don't even EXIF-tag
> them (for privacy reasons); but looking up how tag with freeware, this
> first hit mentions using this Picasa, which I would find cumbersome:

For privacy reasons I do not *share* photos wtih Exif data, but I keep
it for myself. Within F-Stop, I use the <-ish looking send-to-another-
program icon to send photos to Termux, and within Termux I have an image
handler script $HOME/bin/termux-file-editor that strips Exif data and
scales the image down to thwart camera imperfection fingerprinting, eg:

https://securityledger.com/2018/03/single-photo-uniquely-identifies-smartphone-that-took-it/

and then uploads it to a private gateway of mine which then forwards it
to other services. The scale down thing I've been doing for a long time,
but I've recently switched to doing it on the phone in Termux because of
the file size savings of smaller images for a faster upload is a win
over the time delay of doing the image scales on my phone instead of at
my private gateway.

(The other benefit to scaling down is preserving a higher resolution
version if it is ever necessary to prove original ownership.)

Elijah
------
loves Termux

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 2:30:10 AM7/21/18
On 20 Jul 2018 16:35:51 GMT, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> loves Termux

Wow. I'm impressed. You're way ahead of me on knowledge and experience.

I can see that it's useful to *save* EXIF but not to *send* it to others.
So your technique is better than mine, because you get to use the EXIF.
The fingerprinting thwarting is also neat.

I had never heard of Termux, so, first I read your reference:
<https://securityledger.com/2018/03/single-photo-uniquely-identifies-smartphone-that-took-it/>
"one image alone can uniquely identify a smartphone"
Well that sucks. It doesn't say "how" to thwart fingerprinting though.

Googling for this "termux" thing, I find it's a terminal emulator.
Termux, by Fredrik Fornwall
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termux>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.termux/>
Where there seems to be a bunch of related plugins
* Termux Terminal (terminal emulator + linux commands)
* Termux API (expose Android SMS & accessing GPS data)
* Termux Boot (allows apps to be run at boot time)
* Termux Float (picture in picture floating terminal window)
* Termux Styling (color themes for the terminal window)
* Termux Tasker (allows termux scripts to run from tasker)
* Termux Widget (allows user to create shortcuts to scripts)
* <https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/FAQ>

Termux seems to be a busybox-like small-linux in a box.
<https://termux.com/help>

At least in the first pass it seems to be a baby "linux emulator".
One problem though is the "keyboard" sucks by default since it is hard to
find the "tilde" (~) key and the "escape" key, both of which are commonly
used in Linux and in vi.

My first test was to download youtube videos at the command line:
a. Start termux
b. apt update && apt upgrade
c. termux-setup-storage (allows termux to access ~/storage/shared)
d. apt-get install python (install python)
e. pip install youtube-dl (install youtube downloader python script)
f. mkdir /data/data/com.termux/files/home/storage/shared/youtube
g. cd $home
h. mkdir -p .config/youtube-dl
i. cd !$
j. vi config (but I couldn't find the vi "escape" key).
k. cat > config << eof
> --no-mtime
> -o /data/data/com.termux/files/home/storage/shared/Youtube/%(title)s.%(ext)s
> -f "best[height<=480]"
> eof
l. cat config
--no-mtime
-o /data/data/com.termux/files/home/storage/shared/Youtube/%(title)s.%(ext)s
-f "best[height<=480]"
m. mkdir ~/bin
n. cd !$
o. cat > termux-url-opener << eof
> youtube-dl $1
> EOF
p. cat termux-url-opener
youtube-dl $1

Then I want to the YouTube app and viewed a video.
Then I hit the YouTube "share" button.
One of the many options was "Termux".
Darn. It ran the program but it erred out with the message:
"error: You must provide at least one URL.
<https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/66fh4f/what_do_you_use_termux_on_android_for/>

The good news is that the test worked (sort of) in that it clearly ran the
script that I had created for the youtube downloader app, so, that's all I
really wanted to test as a "hello world" style test.

I did try to install exiftool but it wasn't found:
q. apt-get install exiftool

I did see the image manipulating tutorial using termux:
<https://discuss.pixls.us/t/a-full-android-foss-raw-imageing-pipeline-tutorial/3269>

But I haven't tried it yet, but the test above is a good proof of concept
that the "Share" button can be tied to a Termix command which can do
anything we want with our pictures, including what you do with yours.

Thanks for adding technical value to our overall tribal knowledge.

Carlos E.R.

Jul 21, 2018, 5:08:17 AM7/21/18
Ah, that is possible. I saw the file mentioned in the context help.

And ES explorer has a pay feature to ignore .nomedia, I just noticed.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Jul 21, 2018, 5:16:07 AM7/21/18
On 2018-07-19 18:37, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2018 04:45:42 GMT, Carlos E.R. wrote:

That's the one I'm now using. :-)

> Regarding "hidden" files, "fingerprint permission is needed for locking
> either hidden item visibility, or the whole app".
>
>> In fact, one of the "pros" of Motorola phones was that they had less
>> preinstalled apps than other brands. To my surprise I found Linkedlin
>> and Outlook preinstalled :-(
>
> In my experience, some pre-installed apps can be deleted.
> For those that can't, it's not difficult to root most common phones.
> My S3 was rooted in seconds with KingoRoot, for example.
> All you do is download the file and run it and you're rooted.
>
> Once rooted, you can delete the offending apps.
> And then, unroot just as easily as you rooted.

I'm not going to root my phone, as this means some specific apps refuse
to run.

Preinstalled apps can not be deleted, but they can be disabled, which
also deletes their updates.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Jul 21, 2018, 5:20:08 AM7/21/18
On 2018-07-19 18:37, Arlen Holder wrote:
Thanks.

Well, it turns out that "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."

Curious.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 3:31:46 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 02:08:10 GMT, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Ah, that is possible. I saw the file mentioned in the context help.
>
> And ES explorer has a pay feature to ignore .nomedia, I just noticed.

The .nomedia has to be 'respected' by the app, so, as you found out, it's
only good against casual and accidental views.

I don't hide stuff on my phone but I happened across "Simple Gallery" by
Which says that "fingerprint permission is needed for locking either hidden
item visibility, or the whole app", so there are definitely *other* ways to
hide files.

If anyone knows more, hiding of files and apps is a nice functionality that
could be an entire thread on its own.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 3:39:41 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 02:15:21 GMT, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I'm not going to root my phone, as this means some specific apps refuse
> to run.

I completely understand the risk in rooting, since, for one, it wipes out
everything so you have to plan ahead with a good backup.

Still, my only point on the rooting is that you can root, and then unroot,
and then you wouldn't have apps you don't want.

Admittedly, since you have to back up first, it's a lot more work than we'd
like it to be, I agree. (And some risk.)

> Preinstalled apps can not be deleted, but they can be disabled, which
> also deletes their updates.

Good. It's always good to hear everyone's experience since we, together,
learn from each other, when we're all purposefully helpful.

Eli the Bearded

Jul 22, 2018, 12:47:42 AM7/22/18
In comp.mobile.android, Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2018 16:35:51 GMT, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> > loves Termux
> Wow. I'm impressed. You're way ahead of me on knowledge and experience.

I've been using Unix since before Linux existed. Having a command line
on my phone is a feature.

> I had never heard of Termux, so, first I read your reference:
> <https://securityledger.com/2018/03/single-photo-uniquely-identifies-smartphone-that-took-it/>
> "one image alone can uniquely identify a smartphone"
> Well that sucks. It doesn't say "how" to thwart fingerprinting though.

That technique examines images for pixel or subpixel (eg, just the red
channel of a pixel) hardware imperfections. By resampling to a
considerably smaller image (I typically use 50%), hardware issues are
averaged out. It probably still could work with a large number of
images, but it wouldn't be easy.

> Googling for this "termux" thing, I find it's a terminal emulator.
> Termux, by Fredrik Fornwall
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termux>
> <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.termux/>
> Where there seems to be a bunch of related plugins
> * Termux Terminal (terminal emulator + linux commands)
> * Termux API (expose Android SMS & accessing GPS data)

Those two, plus Hacker's Keyboard:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard/
are what I use most often. Hacker's keyboard makes it much easier to
type Unix command lines.

> Termux seems to be a busybox-like small-linux in a box.
> <https://termux.com/help>

I think ships as busybox, but I've upgraded the shell and various tools.
I like vim a lot better than busybox's vi.

> At least in the first pass it seems to be a baby "linux emulator".

It's a real Linux. A strange one, due to the constraints of running as
an application on a phone, but I have installed software from source,
compiling the C on the phone: eg trn and a terminal mode Tetris clone:
https://github.com/Eli-the-Bearded/notint

> One problem though is the "keyboard" sucks by default since it is hard to
> find the "tilde" (~) key and the "escape" key, both of which are commonly
> used in Linux and in vi.

I believe Termux defaults to using the back button for escape. It's VERY
easy to never need ~, control characters are more of an issue
(particularly <ctrl-c>) and the pipe (|) character.

> My first test was to download youtube videos at the command line:
[...]
> o. cat > termux-url-opener << eof
> > youtube-dl $1
> > EOF

I'm going to guess you want quotes around that. A URL like
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgp9MPLEAqA" would be fine, but
if there is an & before the v=, you're going to have trouble.
I use termux-url-opener to send links to my personal network bookmark
service. It uses curl to POST the link to the save endpoint. The URL is
indeed in "$1".

> I did try to install exiftool but it wasn't found:
> q. apt-get install exiftool

It's basically a perl module, use CPAN.

perl -MCPAN -eshell
install Image::ExifTool

I forget what I did to set-up CPAN, it was a long time ago. You might
need a compiler installed for that package. I suspect it's not Pure
Perl ("PP").

> I did see the image manipulating tutorial using termux:
> <https://discuss.pixls.us/t/a-full-android-foss-raw-imageing-pipeline-tutorial/3269>

That topic has some good ideas, thanks for posting it.

> Thanks for adding technical value to our overall tribal knowledge.

Happy to share.

Elijah
------
likes the "zen" mode of notint a lot (not in the original tint)

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 1:15:31 AM7/22/18
On 21 Jul 2018 21:47:42 GMT, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> I've been using Unix since before Linux existed. Having a command line
> on my phone is a feature.

Understood. We all are old men, it seems, where I first started programming
in Fortran well before Fortran 77 even existed. We all predate the personal
computer by too many years! :)

I cut my teeth on the DEC equipment of the 80s after the IBM equipment of
the 60s and 70s, and then to Masscomp and then to Sun for a long while
(SunOS and then Solaris), and then to Windows and Mac stuff, and then back
to Linux, and then back to Windows and Mac, and then back to Linux, etc.

The one nice thing that is always there, is "vi", although I couldn't find
the all-important escape key in the Termux emulation. :(

> That technique examines images for pixel or subpixel (eg, just the red
> channel of a pixel) hardware imperfections. By resampling to a
> considerably smaller image (I typically use 50%), hardware issues are
> averaged out. It probably still could work with a large number of
> images, but it wouldn't be easy.

It was revealing that the researchers felt highly confident that a single
high resolution photo would fingerprint almost any smartphone. Good to know
when I'm robbing banks and posting the pics on the net! :)

> Those two, plus Hacker's Keyboard:
> https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard/
> are what I use most often. Hacker's keyboard makes it much easier to
> type Unix command lines.

Thanks for that pointer. I'll download it, as vi is my editor of choice on
all modern platforms (e.g., Windows, Linux, and Android anyway - I try not
to attempt real work on iOS if I can help it because iOS is so primitive in
what it can do compared to what Android does so easily).

> I think ships as busybox, but I've upgraded the shell and various tools.
> I like vim a lot better than busybox's vi.

Vim. Vi. It's all the same to me. My finger muscles know the commands
intimately, where even my Usenet reader is actually just vi wrapped within
a ton of vpn and telnet shells.

I live and breath vi every day on all modern platforms, where I jokingly
state to my friends that the true test of usability of a smartphone is
whether you can edit using vi while driving! :)

> It's a real Linux. A strange one, due to the constraints of running as
> an application on a phone, but I have installed software from source,
> compiling the C on the phone: eg trn and a terminal mode Tetris clone:
> https://github.com/Eli-the-Bearded/notint

This is good to know where the power of Linux commands are tremendous,
where I run a lot of shell scripts (i.e., stringing commands together to
automate stuff). I like that your solution easily shows up in the YouTube
"share" button, which means it should show up in any "share" button, which
means we can post process a lot of things once we get good at it.

> I believe Termux defaults to using the back button for escape. It's VERY
> easy to never need ~, control characters are more of an issue
> (particularly <ctrl-c>) and the pipe (|) character.

Yeah, Linux uses a bunch of characters a *lot* such as the pipe, and the
escape key (for vi), and the tilde (although $HOME works just as well).

> I'm going to guess you want quotes around that. A URL like
> "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgp9MPLEAqA" would be fine, but
> if there is an & before the v=, you're going to have trouble.
> I use termux-url-opener to send links to my personal network bookmark
> service. It uses curl to POST the link to the save endpoint. The URL is
> indeed in "$1".

Thanks for that suggestion. I was simply following the tutorial at:
<https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/66fh4f/what_do_you_use_termux_on_android_for/>
Where I modified what didn't work for me.

I'll add that (the phone is charging right now as I used it up during the
day) and let you know how it worked. It was only a "hello world" test where
I just wanted to see how the YouTube app could be tweaked to download a URL
via Termux, where I already have "NewPIpe" which downloads any YouTube
video anyway (so I already have the functionality).
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/>

Since NewPipe doesn't work on iOS nor Windows or Linux, I do use the
youtube-dl and youtube-dl.exe on those platforms, so I was familiar with
what it does, which is why I chose it as the "hello world" testcase.

For example, the Windows software is located here:
https://youtube-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl.exe
Where you also need ffmpeg for some conversions:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/static/ffmpeg-20170711-0780ad9-win64-static.zip
And where the most basic download use model is:
C:\> youtube-dl.exe https://youtu.be/7QaABa6DFIo

> It's basically a perl module, use CPAN.
> perl -MCPAN -eshell
> install Image::ExifTool
>
> I forget what I did to set-up CPAN, it was a long time ago. You might
> need a compiler installed for that package. I suspect it's not Pure
> Perl ("PP").

Thanks. I think what I'll do first, is find a tutorial that is up to date
(the reddit one had too many steps that failed) and then get it to work. In
general, when I'm playing with a new tool, I try to get things that are
known to be working to work first, so that I can get the hang of the use
model. And then I get ideas for how to branch out from there.

>> I did see the image manipulating tutorial using termux:
>> <https://discuss.pixls.us/t/a-full-android-foss-raw-imageing-pipeline-tutorial/3269>
> That topic has some good ideas, thanks for posting it.

Thanks for noticing that I'm always purposefully helpful in that I try to
improve our tribal knowledge, as you did yourself, in every post.

>> Thanks for adding technical value to our overall tribal knowledge.
>
> Happy to share

Thanks for being a good netizen!

Carlos E.R.

Jul 22, 2018, 8:32:06 AM7/22/18
No, I think that hiding is an app feature, other apps can ignore it. It
is not an operating system feature that can not be worked around.

For instance, in MsDOS you could mark a file with the attribute "+H"
making it hidden, which only meant that a "dir" command would ignore it.
But soon there were file browsers that could list them, or not,
depending on a config toggle.

Similarly in Linux/Unix files are hidden by starting the name with a
dot. But it is the same, applications can ignore this "convention" and
display them just as easy.

There is nothing to hide a file for good unless the base operating
system does it, and that is not the case.

The only thing that enforces it today is encryption of a file.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Daniel James

Jul 29, 2018, 7:46:40 AM7/29/18
In article <fv9e2f-...@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> For instance, in MsDOS you could mark a file with the attribute "+H"
> making it hidden, which only meant that a "dir" command would ignore
> it.

.. and only then if the "dir" command was invoked without the "-A"
switch.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.